Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Theme in writing

1. How important is theme in what you write? Does a great piece of literature need to express an idea? Explain your thoughts on the matter using examples from things you've read. In your response, address the opposing viewpoint. (Write at least 100 words.)
I believe that there should be a theme to a story. The theme doesn't have to be siad straight out, but it can be an underlying thought provoking story, that makes you think about the theme. Some people say that a story can be written so it can just be a story. Yes, this is true but the stories usually relate to someone is someway, and that makes people think. I love relating to a story, because then it makes me think about my life. A story's theme is to try to relate to people and that's what good stories do; relate to people's real life.

2. What might be a theme that you'd consider communicating through your play. It could be a theme about something that concerns you (think back to what you wrote in your first blog), a theme about something you see socially or politically. It could be a theme about anything else. Write about that theme and why it is important to you? (Write at least 100 words).
A theme I would write about would be friendships. This theme of friends/ friendships is important to me because my friendships are one of the most important things to me. I have seen way too many friendships/ relationships lost. Those friends can be lost over the dumbest things. In my theme it would show the importance of friends and how they can shape who you are and what you become. This relates to everyone because even the most shy person has that ONE friend that they can go to and talk to when things get hard.


3. What is one conflict you write about in your play. Generate some ideas for conflicts you could write about. This may or may not be connected to potential themes. (Write at least 75 words)
A conflict I would write about would be a person-person conflict. It would deal with two people having a problem with a bunch of other people or even just one other person. I would also have an internal conflict with a main character feeling insecure about one specific thing. The characters would all have their own way of dealing with conflict. But in they way that they deal it somehow related to another character.

4 comments:

Pimpin' All Over the World said...

I do agree with what you said about themes but I think that there are some stories out there that aren't trying to relate to people at all and they are for pure entertainment. Although they are rare, I believe that they do exist. One time I read an autobiography about some famous scientist for school and I couldn't relate to it at all, but I still found it to be a good story.

Pimpin' All Over the World said...

I definitely know what you mean about the whole friendship thing. I have also seen people lose friends over the stupidest things and it's really sad to see. It's weird to think that if you weren't friends with the people that you're friends with right now, then you might be a completely different person.

Sylvie said...

I also think its fun to relate to novels too! no matter how different or wierd they might be, there is always something human about a fantasy character of some sort. I also think friends are very important in everyones' lives, especially at our age. With a friend theme you would be able to easily express your characters emotions, good idea!

Anonymous said...

I definetely agree that novels are alot better, if you are in some way able to relate to them. I thought the friendship theme was a good idea, and that it would make a fun story to read.